VACM Crypto is a VACM device that provides a single NSA Type-1 certified crypto module which will be common to all VACM devices.
VINSON family of voice encryption devices and ANDVT (Advanced Narrowband Digital Voice Terminal) are secure communications systems.
The two devices when brought together belong to the VINSON ANDVT Cryptographic Modernization program which is also known as VACM.
There is the use of the VACM End Cryptographic Unit (ECU) to maintain the capability and function of both the VINSON and ANDVT ECUs with the NSA Type 1 encryption.
I specifically mean the 16-kilobit-per-second continuously variable slope delta modulation (CVSD) audio compression.
It is as well as NSA, classified Suite A SAVILLE encryption algorithm when I talk about the NSA Type 1 encryption.
The current developments in technology are already having a significant impact on my everyday living.
Believing that crypto is the future and it will one day revolutionize the world, I decided to do further research on the VACM Crypto, and here is what I found:
Raytheon to use Cryptographic Units to overhaul US Air Forces
Raytheon Company secured a $31.1 million contract to provide power-efficient, lighter devices to securely transmit data and voice traffic for the United States military.
One uses these devices in a variety of ways. These include maritime, airborne, and land combat situations because they are portable.
There is an expectation that Raytheon is to make modern products that will use algorithms to decrypt the information and encrypt it as well.
These modern products are going to replace the stand-alone cryptographic units. The stand-alone units are a bit expensive.
If you think that these modern products are VACM, then you are right.
The VINSON/ANDVT Crypto Modernization, known as VACM is a highly competitive program. It is going to ease encryption to a higher standard.
One can access the cryptographic module at a lower cost in select markets. It is in comparison to other competitive solutions.
The VACM contract has made a significant impact amongst the topmost programs in the U.S. Air Force Cryptologic Systems Division.
The system in use today is the Legacy. Raytheon looks to replace it. However, it needs to structure and experiment with the cryptographic units.
What is VACM Crypto?
Here is a summary of what I have discussed about the VACM Crypto in this article.
- It is a VACM device that provides a single NSA Type-1 certified crypto module. It will be common to all VACM devices.
- Together, two secure communication systems, the VINSON family of voice encryption devices and ANDVT (Advanced Narrowband Digital Voice Terminal), forming the VINSON ANDVT Cryptographic Modernization program is what is also known as VACM.
- A VACM End Cryptographic Unit (ECU) is used to maintain the function and capability of both the VINSON and ANDVT ECUs with the NSA Type 1 encryption.
- After winning a $31.1 million contract, Raytheon Company is to make modern products that will use data- scrambling algorithms to decrypt information on one end and encrypt it on the other.
- These modern products are the VACM.
- Being one of the largest programs under contract in the U.S. Air Force Cryptologic Systems Division, the VACM, Raytheon’s new cryptographic module is available at a lower cost only to select markets.
- Raytheon will be required to initially design and test the cryptographic units before the legacy systems being used today get used.